This Mac n Cheeze is a plant-based version of the classic comfort food dish that typically consists of macaroni and a creamy, cheesy sauce. Instead of traditional dairy-based ingredients like milk, butter, and cheese, vegan mac and cheese is made with plant-based alternatives that are free of animal products.
The sauce is seasoned with a variety of spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, and smoked paprika, to add depth and complexity to the flavour. Once the sauce has thickened, it is combined with the cooked macaroni and served immediately with garlic bread to soak up that creamy sauce!
- 200g macaroni
- 40g plant based spread
- 30g plain flour
- 240g plant based milk
- 2tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2tbsp nutritional yeast
- 100g vegan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add a little salt
- In a separate saucepan melt the spread, once this has completely melted, add the flour & stir with a spoon, it will turn into a thick paste to create the roux
- Slowly add the plant based milk, whisking as you go, it will continue to thicken
- Once all the milk has been added and the mixture is thick, you can add the seasoning, spices, nutritional yeast and vegan cheese
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, continuing to stir so that it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan
- Once the macaroni has boiled (around 8 mins) drain and rinse in cold water so that it doesn’t continue to cook, add sauce to the pasta, stir well
- Serve with garlic bread & enjoy!