Who said vegans miss out?! We can even eat cheese straws AND they are like a million times tastier than shop bought non-vegan cheese twists… in my opinion anyway!
So these are super easy to make, they are sure to impress your party guests and they are versatile. You can add pesto, sundried tomatoes, ‘bacon’ bits, tomato puree to make pizza straws etc, you can have them plain or make yourself a delicious dip, you can dunk them in a delicious tomato soup. The world really is your oyster when it comes to cheese straws 🙂
2 sheets of shop-bought puff pastry
1 bag of vegan cheese
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup oat milk (for glazing)
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Open your first sheet of puff pastry, lay it out flat on the work surface
- If you are using pesto, tomato puree etc then now would be the time to spread it over the top of the puff pastry sheet, if not, move on to number 3
- Sprinkle the whole bag of vegan cheese on top of the pastry sheet followed by a sprinkle of oregano
- Unwrap the second pastry sheet and place it directly on top of the vegan cheese layer
- Press it down with your hands, especially the edges
- Now cut the pastry layers into even strips, approx. 2cm in width
- Take each strip at a time, put your fingers on both ends and twist until the whole strip is twisted, add to a lined baking tray ready for the oven
- Repeat this process for each pastry strip
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 mins, until golden brown, crispy and the vegan cheese has melted nicely!