Vegans are allowed to eat naughty food sometimes too… its all about balance! These little snacks are perfect for party buffets. The ‘Vivera Bacon Bits’ are incredible, combined with the vegan cheese and pesto, its an absolute snack from heaven!
I made my own pesto as I prefer it without the acidity regulators and extra additives. I have attached my recipe below, in case you would like to make it for yourself…if not, shop bought will work just fine. Either way, you are guaranteed to impress your party guests with these delicious swirls, vegan or not!
1 sheet – Jus Roll Puff Pasty
1/2 box – Vivera Bacon Bits
1 bag – Vegan Cheese (Approx 200g – I used Bute Island Mozzarella Style Sheese)
200g fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts – toasted
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste
3-4 tbsp water – plus more if needed
- For the Pesto: Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for 5-7 minutes until light brown and fragrant, then let cool. Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and whizz until you are left with a smooth consistency. Decant into a air tight container (there will be plenty left over for you to make another dish – the pesto will stay fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days)
- For the Swirls: Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Roll out your sheet of puff pastry and place it landscape on your work surface
- Spread a thick layer of pesto onto the pastry sheet
- Sprinkle half of the bag of vegan cheese on top of the pesto layer
- Now layer the bacon bits on top of the cheese (I use half a box of bacon bits as I feel that is enough – but feel free to add as many as you like)
- The last layer is the rest of the vegan cheese
- Now for rolling; start from the bottom end (the one closest to you) slowly roll the pastry, like you would a swiss roll, ensuring all of the filling is staying intact
- Once you get to the end, brush some plant-based milk to help the pastry stick together
- Now you should have a nice thick log (lol) brush the plant based milk all over to glaze (it is easier and quicker to do it now than once you have cut it)
- Slice your log into 12 even slices, place them on their side on a lined baking tray
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the vegan cheese has melted.
- Its now time to experience heaven! …. Go on, have a bite! 🙂