It’s Easter!! With all this time on our hands I expect most people will have a go at making some hot cross buns for their families. These hot cross buns are a little different to standard ones. I have swapped up some flour for some Pulsin protein powder and the raisins for goji berries and ordinary sugar for coconut sugar.
The pink goji berries make them as visually appealing as they taste!
400g strong bread flour
100g pulsin pea protein
14g fast action dried yeast
375ml warm water
1tbsp rapeseed oil
50g coconut sugar
1tsp sea salt
3tsp mixed spice
1. Add the flour, pea protein, coconut sugar, sea salt and mixed spice to a medium sized bowl, mix together well and create a well in the centre of the dry mix
2. Mix the warm water with the rapeseed oil in a jug
3. Slowly add the water and oil mix into the well of the flour, combining with a wooden spoon to create the dough – tip out of the bowl onto a floured surface
4. Kneed the dough for around 10-15 minutes (the longer the better)
5. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with cling film, place it in a warm spot and let it rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size
6. Knock back the dough, add the goji berries and kneed again until everything is well distributed
7. Cover again and let rise for another 1 hour, until doubled in size
8. Preheat the oven to 200 C
8. Line a baking tray, divide the mix into even sized balls and place on the baking tray
9. For the cross on top of the buns, you need to mix 1tbsp of flour with a small amount of water, to create a thick paste that can hold in a piping bag – once you have done this, draw a cross on top of each bun with the flour/water combination
10. Transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until the buns have risen and are golden brown in colour.
11. Set aside to cool before eating
These buns of deliciousness can be served with Jam, Spread, Marmalade..
Absolutely anything you fancy!!
Happy Easter Everyone 🙂