Not only does this soup look incredibly exciting, the taste is unbelievable.
The red cabbage lends a peppery yet sweet taste. I used Oatly creme fraiche to make the soup a little more creamy, this isn’t essential, the soup will still taste delicious without it or equally you could make your own vegan creme fraiche. I used Oatly as it is what I had in my fridge. Also – if you don’t have wild garlic this can be swapped for regular garlic cloves.
1 red cabbage head
1 red onion
5-8 wild garlic leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon
500ml veg stock
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2tbsp creme fraiche
Salt to taste
1. Heat a medium saucepan with some neutral flavoured oil such as rapeseed
2. Finely dice the red onion and mince the ginger – add both to the saucepan, cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes
3. Shred the red cabbage – add to the sauce pan with the onions and ginger with the thyme, lightly fry for 2 minutes
4. Add the veg stock and boil for approx 15-20 minutes – until the red cabbage is soft (you don’t want to overcook the red cabbage as it will turn very sweet and you won’t receive the peppery flavour.
5. Once boiled add the soup to a food processor along with the chopped wild garlic, salt and lemon juice, process until you have a smooth consistency (you can keep some red cabbage lumps if you’d like)
6. If using – add the creme fraiche and mix well, add to a bowl, top with pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds. WALA!