This pasta is delicious served hot or cold, you can mix and match your veg too. I chose broccoli because I think it really works with the sauces cheesy flavour and it’s madly nutritious. Cashews are a great base for creamy sauces. This dish is packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, folic acid and healthy fats. If you would prefer unrefined carbs – switch to whole wheat pasta. Likewise with gluten free.
I added wild garlic to the dish, however, this will obviously be seasonal and depend whether you want to go on a foraging adventure! If you don’t add the wild garlic blend an extra garlic clove into the sauce.
Ideally the cashews need to be soaked for at least 2 hours prior to making the sauce to reduce the phytic acid to aid better digestion.
Yield: 2 Bowls
250g spirali or whole wheat pasta
1/2 broccoli head
200g plant based milk
2tbsp nutritional yeast
1+1/2tbsp dijon mustard
1tsp onion powder
2 garlic cloves (1 extra if you aren’t using wild garlic)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Optional Toppings –
2 tsp mustard seeds
Finely chopped wild garlic
1. Boil salted water and follow the instructions on the pack to cook the spirali
2. Steam the broccoli florets
3. Process all of the sauce cashew sauce ingredients until a thick creamy sauce with no cashew lumps
4. Drain the pasta once it’s cooked, add the steamed broccoli florets and the sauce, mix well
5. Garnish the dish with mustard seeds and finely chopped wild garlic