This dish is seriously creamy comfort food that hits all the same spots that normal mac n cheese would but without the guilt of using animal products!
40g plant based spread
30g plain flour
240g plant based milk
2tsp mustard powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2tbsp nutritional yeast
100g vegan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add a little salt
- In a separate saucepan melt the spread, once this has completely melted, add the flour & stir with a spoon, it will turn into a thick paste to create the roux
- Slowly add the plant based milk, whisking as you go, it will continue to thicken
- Once all the milk has been added and the mixture is thick, you can add the seasoning, mustard powder, nutritional yeast, vegan cheese
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, continuing to stir so that it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan
- Once the macaroni has boiled (around 8 mins) drain and rinse in cold water so that it doesn’t continute to cook, add sauce to the pasta & enjoy!